Medical School Teaching Facilities
Learning is more effective and efficient when it is supported by the right technology. This is particularly true when it comes to educating physicians who must learn to make judgments based on skilled observation of visual clues. At our Caribbean medical school, you will have the benefit of exceptional teaching and laboratory facilities designed with extensive multi-media and simulation capabilities.
Instruction in the basic sciences is conducted at the School's main campus in Portsmouth, Dominica. Situated on approximately 36 acres, the School features exceptional medical instruction facilities with high-tech classrooms, hands-on laboratories with multimedia, closed-circuit television and audiovisual instructional technology throughout the campus.
RUSM students also practice diagnostic and basic treatment skills in an internationally accredited, highly advanced simulation lab featuring sophisticated computerized patient simulators.
Classrooms & Laboratories
All of the classrooms and laboratories are equipped with an array of high-resolution monitors connected to advanced audiovisual equipment and media players that are utilized by the faculty to enhance the teaching experience. All classroom computers are linked to the Learning Resource Center so that educational software can be accessed for teaching purposes.
Standard features for all new classrooms include large rear projection video display systems with additional plasma screen monitors offering a clear view of the teaching material for each seat in the classroom. New classrooms feature teleconferencing systems that provide learning opportunities to students both on and off campus in addition to wireless network access.
Campus facilities include:
- 5 laboratories, including Anatomy, Behavioral Sciences, Microbiology, and Research Labs
- 4 auditoriums -- three seating approximately 300 students
- 2 Learning Resource Centers
- Patient examination rooms with A/V links to classrooms
- Medical Library
- Anatomy building for student demonstrations and video presentations
- Anatomy laboratory allowing space for 36 cadavers, facilities for prosection and demonstration, video production and transmission
- 4 emergency care simulators for cardiology and pharmacology
- Nearly 200 computer stations throughout the academic buildings
- Wireless capability on-campus