ross and CALIFORNIA: facts and figures
Join us at our Information Seminar on Saturday, January 28 in San Francisco! More details and signup information here.
Each year, Ross University School of Medicine welcomes students from states across the US, including California, to medical school. Take a look at the facts and figures below to learn about how Ross connects with your home state.
California by the Numbers
- About 15% of Ross students currently enrolled are from California.
- According to the 2015 AAMC Physician Databook, 24% of California’s active physicians graduated from an international medical school, ranking it 14th in the US.
Meet Some Ross Grads in California
||"We were blown away by the [Ross] anatomy lab. The whole setup was just incredible. You could tell Ross had a strong focus on your academic success with the support in place to help you achieve it."
DR. DESIREE EAKIN, MD ('06)
Pediatrician and owner, Olive Health Pediatrics in Burbank, CA
||"The admissions committee at Ross saw some potential in me and opened a door that would have otherwise remained closed."
DR. ERIC WILSON, MD ('07)
Sports medicine physician at Kaiser Permanente in Santa Clara, CA
|This grad was appointed to the editorial board of the American Journal of Psychiatry--Residents' Journal in her first year of residency.
DR. JANET CHAROENSOOK ('14)
Psychiatry resident at UC Riverside School of Medicine, CA
For more testimonials from Ross graduates, check out our Alumni Profiles.
In 2016, 786 current and former Ross graduates earned residencies throughout the United States. That same year, more than 50 Ross students earned residency positions at California hospitals/teaching facilities, including:
- Stanford University
- Eisenhower Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente
- Loma Linda University
- UC Riverside
- UC San Francisco
Ross Clinical Affiliates in California
- California Hospital Medical Center, Los Angeles: An important community healthcare provider in downtown Los Angeles for 128 years, this 318-bed hospital operates Los Angeles County’s busiest private trauma center and provides critically needed service to a diverse, urban patient population. Through the RUSM partnership, CHMC staff provide training in all six core clerkships to nearly 50 third-year medical students. Another 50 positions offer elective training for fourth-year students. Twenty CHMC staff physicians serve as preceptors for the program and hold RUSM faculty appointments.
- Kern Medical Center, Bakersfield: This partnership, initiated in 2012, is the largest clinical affiliation in Ross' history, offering about 100 core clinical rotation slots annually for Ross students. KMC, established in 1867, is a 222-bed acute care teaching hospital that serves about 650,000 area residents. KMC provides care for more than 16,000 inpatients annually, and experiences 43,000 emergency room visits per year. Per the agreement, Ross clinical students can complete all third-year rotations at KMC.
- Full list of Ross Clinical Affiliates
- Some states, including California, require approval for international medical schools. Ross is proud to be approved in California.
Where Do Our California Students Come From?
From which schools did most of our California-area students graduate? See the top five below.
- University of California Davis
- University of California Irvine
- University of California Los Angeles
- University of California San Diego
- University of California Riverside
There's much more to discover about Ross. Dive in.
Learn More In Person
Get your questions answered by our alumni at Ross University School of Medicine's upcoming Information Seminars.
- San Francisco, CA - Jan 28, 2017
- Los Angeles, CA - Feb 11, 2017
- Irvine, CA - Mar 4, 2017
- San Diego, CA - Mar 18, 2017
Ross News for California