The ROSS counseling center
Welcome to Ross University School of Medicine’s Counseling and Psychological Services webpage. We are dedicated to the health and well-being of the Ross community. Our services are free, strictly confidential, and are offered to medical students, their spouses, partners, significant others and family members, including children. We are available to address personal, academic or professional concerns as well as emerging and ongoing clinical and sub-clinical mental health issues.
Anyone who is in a life-threatening situation or needs immediate help may go to the nearest emergency room or community clinic, and/or call Ross's 24-hour emergency number at 767-235-9111.
Anyone experiencing a mental health emergency may call the 24-hour counseling on-call phone number at 767-275-1385.
To arrange an appointment with a counselor call, visit or email us. We are open weekdays from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. To help accommodate students' busy schedules, early or late appointments are also available.
Office: 767-255-6553 (appointments and general information)
24-Hour On-Call: 767-275-1385 (emergencies)
Email: DMCounseling@rossu.edu (appointments and general information)
Location: Behavioral Sciences Building, next to classroom 1
Staff Members & Confidentiality
Our staff members are experienced in serving the specific needs of medical students from diverse backgrounds. We work together in a multidisciplinary approach and function as an independent clinical entity, distinct from the Ross academic program. Counseling staff members have no involvement in the academic assessment or promotion of students, and our records are not part of any academic file. Information is not shared with faculty or administrators unless the student/client authorizes a specific written release of information.
Counseling Center Staff
- Joy Himmel, Psy.D, Director of Counseling
Phone: 767-255-6439 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Davendra Sharma, Consulting Psychiatrist
- McMillan Cuffy, MSc, Counselor
Phone: 767-275-5355 | Email: email@example.com
- Shannon Evans, MSW, Counselor
Phone: 767-255-6265 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jennifer Swaim, PhD, BCB, Psychologist
Phone: 767-255-6218 | Email: email@example.com
- Kelly Sabaroche, Office Assistant
Phone: 767-255-6553 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ross Counseling Center provides psychological assessment, individual therapy, family and/or relationship counseling, career guidance, crisis intervention, medication evaluation/management services, and referral services for the audiences listed earlier in this page. In addition to our clinical services, we also provide workshops and outreach programs regarding stress management and cognitive performance enhancement.
- Adjustment to living in a foreign country
- Living with depression and/or anxiety
- Relationships with peers, faculty, family, or significant others
- Stress related to being a medical student
- Managing sleep difficulties
- Professional identity development
- Living with grief and loss
- Use of tobacco, alcohol or drugs
- Relationship with food, eating and exercise
- Issues related to cultural, gender and/or sexual identities