Medical School CAMPUS, TEACHING FACILITIES, AND TECHNOLOGY
Visitors from U.S. education institutions are often surprised to find leading-edge educational technology at a Caribbean medical school. But technology is a critical component of the medical education program of Ross University School of Medicine. At Ross our students benefit from exceptional teaching and laboratory facilities designed with extensive multimedia and simulation capabilities.
Instruction in the basic sciences is conducted at the main campus in Portsmouth, Dominica. Situated on approximately 36 acres, Ross features exceptional medical instruction facilities with high-tech classrooms, hands-on laboratories with multimedia, closed-circuit television and audiovisual instructional technology throughout the campus.
Ross students also practice diagnostic and basic treatment skills in an internationally accredited, highly advanced simulation lab featuring sophisticated computerized patient simulators.
Check out a video about our simulation lab below.
Classrooms & Laboratories
All of the classrooms and laboratories are equipped with an array of high-resolution monitors connected to advanced audiovisual equipment and media players that are utilized by the faculty to enhance the teaching experience. All classroom computers are linked to the Learning Resource Center so that educational software can be accessed for teaching purposes.
Standard features for all new classrooms include large rear projection video display systems with additional plasma screen monitors offering a clear view of the teaching material for each seat in the classroom. New classrooms feature teleconferencing systems that provide learning opportunities to students both on and off campus in addition to wireless network access.
To supplement classroom study at Ross, all lectures are recorded and digitally stored via MediaSite. Watch the video on the right for more on how students use MediaSite to support academic study during the Foundations of Medicine curriculum.
Campus facilities include:
- 5 laboratories, including Anatomy, Behavioral Sciences, Microbiology, and Research Labs
- Our Student Center, which features a library, student study space, the Center for Teaching and Learning, and food facilities
- 4 auditoriums -- three seating approximately 300 students
- 2 Learning Resource Centers
- Patient examination rooms with A/V links to classrooms
- Medical Library
- Anatomy building for student demonstrations and video presentations
- Anatomy laboratory allowing space for 36 cadavers, facilities for prosection and demonstration, video production and transmission
- 4 emergency care simulators for cardiology and pharmacology
- Nearly 200 computer stations throughout the academic buildings
- Wireless capability on-campus