Office of Career Advisement
The Office of Career Advisement (OCA) advises students in residency preparation, prepares student documents in preparation for residency, and assists graduated students by facilitating their ongoing postgraduate professional pursuits.
This office assists students with Career Development, Licensing and Credentialing, and Writing.
The team’s directors each have more than three decades of experience working with students. They understand the unique and sometimes subtle nature of the medical climate and the issues RUSM students face. With an understanding of the medical and residency landscape, the OCA departments identify the advantages and challenges RUSM students may face in the ever-changing medical career field. Each department helps guide students to design their future careers.
The OCA Career Advisors assist students to prepare to enter The National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP®) and/or specialty matches and provide the necessary credentials for a successful application. The OCA also provides information that can be helpful in determining the specialties that best suit a student’s academic interest and performance and advises on interview skills, the residency application process, and successful approaches that will represent each student best.
The OCA Writers prepare and guide students on residency documents to be completed in order to apply and enter the interview process. From the personal statement, curriculum vitae (CV) and the Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE), students are given the tools they need to empower them to maximize their results throughout the Match season.
Serving as a liaison with the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates® (ECFMG®), OCA Licensing Analysts assure students are ECFMG-certified, and validates their education level for U.S. medical school curricula. The OCA subsequently administers all verification and state licensure documentation for graduated students.
Starting in semester 5, OCA Career Advisors will assist in residency preparation by:
- Conducting Mock Interviews through Skype®, at Miramar, or via telephone
- Providing timely guidance for students who are experiencing clerkship challenges
- Answering and providing residency information and career guidance about specific specialty programs
- Researching options for students who don’t attain a residency or those with gaps prior to start of residency
OCA Writers will assist in preparing for Residency Applications by:
- Collecting the personal statement, CV, and MSPE information forms in order to draft the MSPE
- Drafting the MSPE
- Advising students about the documents in preparation for residency
- Editing and revising the personal statement and CV
- Uploading official documentation to Electronic Residency Application Service® (ERAS®) (MSPE and transcript)
- Preparing MSPE or transcripts for fellowships through ERAS Fellowships Documents Office (EFDO).
Office of Career Advisement
Ross University School of Medicine
1600 SW 80th Terrace
Plantation, FL 33324