Liris Benjamin, MBBS, MPH, PGDIP, PhD
Assistant Chair and Professor, Department of Clinical Foundations
Areas of Expertise
- Family Medicine
- Public Health
Education and Certification
- University of West Indies, Mona, Jamaica; PhD in Physiology (March 2001)
- University of Guyana; MBBS (MD equivalent) (Oct 1993)
- University of West Indies, Mona, Jamaica; Master in Public Health (2006)
- University of West Indies, Cave Hill, Barbados, Diploma in Family Medicine (Oct 2014)
- Ross University School of Medicine, Dominica; Master Education Training Program (2008)
- University of Leicester, United Kingdom; Advanced Certificate in Educational Management (Nov 2003)
- University of North Carolina, USA; Certificate in Public Health Leadership (Nov 2004)
Honors and Awards
- DeVry Healthcare Education and Scientific Conference 2013 Award Winners – Education/Pedagogy – 1st place oral presentation
- Certificate of Appreciation for Service; Dominica Cadet Corp (2007)
Affiliations and Memberships
- Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE)
- International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE)
- Bioethical Society of the English-speaking Caribbean (BSEC)
- Ross University School of Medicine
- Research Ethics Committee of the Caribbean Public Health Society (2014-2016)
- Institutional Review Board, Chair. Ross University School of Medicine IRB committee (Dec 2012- 2016)
- Institutional Review Board, Ross University School of Medicine IRB committee (2007- 2016)
- University of West Indies, Mona Campus, Jamaica, West Indies
- Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
- Benjamin LC, Young LC, Young R. Dopaminergic Lesioning of the Nucleus Accumbens Potentiates Learned Helplessness. Alzheimer’s Disease Review 1999;4:29-31.
- Benjamin LC, YoungLE, YoungRE, Stewart J, Rajabi H, Rodaros D. Effects of Hormone Replacement Therapy On Mesolimbic Extracellular Dopamine Following Stress: An In Vivo Microdialysis Study West Indian Medical Journal April 2000.
- Benjamin LC, Young LE, Young RE. Hormonal Variations Influence Learning and Memory. West Indian Medical Journal. April 1997
- Kohn R, Benjamin L, Benjamin G. Dominica, in (D’Avanzo CE, Geissler EM eds.) Pocket Guide to Cultural Health Assessment, 3rd Ed. St. Louis: Mosby pp.240-243; 2003.
- Benjamin G; Benjamin L. Psychiatry in the Eastern Caribbean, in (Hickling F, Sorrel E eds.) Images of Psychiatry in the Caribbean, World Psychiatric Association. Stephenson’s Litho Press 2005. pp 137-152
- Benjamin LC, Mc CawBinns A, Nevins D, Benjamin GC. Barriers to STI Prevention Practices Amongst University Students: Are Condoms Barriers? West Indies Medical Journal 2007; 56 (Suppl 1):36.
- Benjamin L, Cooles P, Martin A, Welke L, Griffin Benjamin. Factors Influencing Neuroscience Grades of Medical Students. Journal of International Association of Medical Science Educators. 2010; 20-2s 217.
- Benjamin L, Cooles P, Benjamin G. How to Nurture Clinical Skills with Basic Sciences. Association for Medical Education in Europe. Abstract book. 2012:229
- Benjamin L, Benjamin G. West Indies Medical Journal. Research Proposal writing Know-How. Caribbean Public Health Agency. 2016: Vol 65 (Suppl 3) CARPHA 2016
- Benjamin L, Benjamin G, Selfridge N. Errors in History and Physical Examination Report Writing. Association for Medical Education in Europe. Abstract book. 2017: 585