Paul C. Abney, MEd, PhD
- Interpersonal Communication Skills
- Group Therapy
- Existential Counseling
- Addiction Treatment
- Organizational Leadership
- 1999–2002, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
Doctor of Philosophy, PhD
Department of Counseling, Development, and Higher Education, Major: Counselor Education
- 1996–1998, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
Masters of Education, MEd, Major: Counselor Education
- 1976–1978, University of Albuquerque, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bachelors of Arts, BA, Major: Philosophy
- 1994–1996, Eastfield College, Dallas, Texas
I. Associate of Applied Science, AAS, Major: Substance Abuse Counseling
II. Associate of Applied Science, AAS, Major: Social Work
- National Certified Counselor (NCC), National Board of Certified Counselors
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), Texas Department of State Health Services
- Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC) (Inactive), Texas Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC) (Inactive), Nevada State Board of Examiners for Drug and Alcohol Counselors
- Distinguished and Meritorious Award for 2008, University of the Virgin Islands
- Outstanding College of Education Instructor for 2003, University of Nevada, Reno, NV
- Member - An International Association for Medical Education (AMEE)
- Member - American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Member - Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES)
- Past Member - International Association for Play Therapy (IAPT)
- Member - Association for Specialists in Group Work (ASGW)
- Charter Member - International Gestalt Therapist Association (IGTA)
- Charter Member - Chi Sigma Iota Honor Society, Rho Kappa Chapter
- American Association University Professors (AAUP)
- Co-Principal Investigator: Math Science Partnership-Start from the National Science Foundation - Awarded $300,000. (Sept. 2008).
- Project Director: No Teacher Left Behind (2nd iteration) - From the U.S. Department of Education. Awarded $90,366. (2006-2008).
- On-Site Evaluator: State Incentive Grant and the Mental Health and Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grants. Development of a comprehensive substance abuse prevention state system for youth ages 12-17. Awarded $1,257,210 annually for three years [extended]. (2005-2010).
- On-Site Evaluator: State Epidemiology Outcome Workgroup. USVI Division of Mental Health, Alcoholism and Drug Dependency Services. To establish and sustain a State Epidemiological Outcomes Workgroup that will examine alcohol, tobacco, and other drug-related archival data in the Virgin Islands. Awarded $77,476 annually for three years [extended]. (2006-2010).
- Project Director: No Teacher Left Behind - From the U.S. Department of Education - Awarded $74,852. (2005-2006).
- Project Director: Closing the Gap between High Touch and High Tech: Integrating Multi-Media Technology into a Counseling Skills-Based Training Model- Scholarly Activity Pool Application- University of Nevada, Reno. Awarded $4,000. (2003).
Coulter, M. A. & Abney, P.C. (Jan., 2009). A study of burnout in international and country of origin teachers. International Review of Education/Internationale Zeitschrift für Erziehungswissenschaft/Revue internationale l'éducation.(55)1. pp. 105-121.
Stein-Seroussi, A., Brodish, P., & Abney, P.C. (Mar, 2008) Virgin Islands Prevention (VIP) State Incentive Grant (SIG) summary of the findings from the 2007 Virgin Islands Youth Risk Behavior Survey. Chapel Hill, N.C.: Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation. Available here
Stein-Seroussi, A., Brodish, P., & Abney, P.C. (May, 2007) Virgin Islands prevention (VIP) state incentive grant (SIG) summary of the findings from the 2006 Virgin Islands Youth Risk Behavior Survey. Chapel Hill, N.C.: Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation. Available here
Abney, P.C. (April, 2007). Virgin Islands Epidemiological Profile. State Epidemiological Outcomes Workgroup (SEOW). Pacific Institute of Research and Evaluation (PIRE) and University of the Virgin Islands (UVI). St. Croix, USVI: USVI Department of Health-Division of Mental Health, Alcoholism, and Drug Dependency Services and the Center for Substance Abuse Prevention, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (CSAP-SAMHSA).
Brodish, PH; Mills, F; Abney, PC; Berkeley, CS; & Stein-Seroussi, A. An epidemiological profile for the prevention of alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use in the Virgin Islands.
Maples, M. F., & Abney, P. C. (Jan. 2006). Baby Boomers Mature: Gerocounseling comes of age. Journal of Counseling and Development, 84(1).
Maples, M. F., Packman, J., Abney, P. C., Daughtery, R. A., Casey, J. A., & Pirtle, L. (Sept. 2005). Middle school teen suicide: A postvention team approach. Journal of Counseling and Development,83(4).
Newman, J. & Abney, P. C. (Nov. 2005). The use of digital video editing software in microskills based counselor education programs: A technology perspective. Journal of Technology in Counseling, 4 (1).
Newman, J. & Abney, P. (2004). Microskills Based Counselor Training Using Digital Video Editing Software. In C. Crawford et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education International Conference 2004 (pp. 1303-1306). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
Abney, P. C., & Maddux, C. D. (2004). Counseling and technology: Some thoughts about the controversy. Journal of Technology in Human Services,22(3).
D’Andrea, L.M., Abney, P.C., Swinney, R., & Ganyon, J.R. (2004). Critical incident stress debriefing (CISD) in rural communities. Traumatology, 10(3). 179-184.
Liu, L. & Abney, P.C. (2004). Integrating interactive video technology into counseling skill training. In M.O. Thirunarayanan (Ed.), Integrating Technology in Higher Education. University Press of America. Lanham, MD.
Liu, L., Maddux, C., Abney, P., & Kongrith, K. (2004). Creating interactive video for counseling skill training. In C. McLoughlin & L. Cantoni (Eds.), Proceedings of ED-MEDIA, Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications (pp. 1863-1868). Charlottesville, VA: AACE.
Newman, J. & Abney, P. C. (2004). Microskills based counselor training using digital video editing software. Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education International Conference, V. 2004, 1, 1303-1306.
Abney, P. C. (2002). A study of the relationship between counselor self-awareness and counselor effectiveness. Dissertation Abstracts International, 63(09), 3112A.
Abney, P. C. (1999). The most important issue facing the counseling profession today. Recovery Today, 4(10) 1-4.