Rakesh Calton, MBBS, MD, MHM, MBA, MPHIL, FACHE, CHE
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Education
- Clinical Research
- Hospital Administration
- Healthcare Management
- Quality Management in Healthcare
- Lean, six sigma and accreditation
• Christian Medical College and Brown Memorial Hospital, Ludhiana, Punjab, India. MBBS July 1981 to 1987
• Christian Medical College and Brown Memorial Hospital, Ludhiana, Punjab, India. MD (Residency Training and specialization in Internal Medicine, July 1989 – June 1994)
• Medical License: Punjab Medical Council and Gujarat Medical Council, India
• ECFMG 2005
• Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives (Board Certified)
• Certified Healthcare Executive of the Canadian College of Health Leaders
• Master of Health Management; DeGroot School of Business, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada (September 2015 – May 2017).
• Advanced Diploma in Adult Education, ON, Canada
• Masters of Business Administration (Operations); India
• Masters in Philosophy (M Phil, Hospitals and Health Systems Management),
• Certified Professional in Health Quality (CPHQ); National Association of Health Quality, USA.
• Certified Six Sigma Green Belt (CSSGB); American Society of Quality, (ASQ), Milwaukee, WI.
• Lean Bronze (CLB), SME /ASQ.
• Certified Manager, Quality/Organizational Excellence (CMQ/OE, ASQ)
• Certified Quality Process Analyst (CQPA; ASQ)
• Lead Auditor, National Accreditation Board (NABH / ISQuA), India.
• Certificate of Appreciation for demonstrated excellence Saba University, (December 2018).
• Regent’s award for 2018, for outstanding leadership. Canadian Chapter of the American College of Healthcare Executives.
• Presented best paper in an International Conference, India 2009.
1. Calton R, de Haan K, Dewachter K, Smith SK, Value Agenda for Heart Failure in Ontario: Application of the Porter model. Healthc Manage Forum. 2017 Nov;30(6):278-282. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29061077
2. Calton Rakesh, “Devising a Management Information System for Biomedical Equipment’s Maintenance in a Tertiary Level Super Specialty Hospital”, Biomedical Engineering and Nanotechnology; Special issue MJDYPU Vol II Issue 3; p 194; (ISSN 0974-2743) April 2009
3. Calton Rakesh “Causes of Nurse Attrition.” Management Researcher Vol. XV No 3 January – March 2009
4. Calton Rakesh,” Introducing Perpetual Inventory System in the Pharmacy of a Hospital.” Erudition - The Albertian Journal of Management, July 2008.
5. Calton R et al, “Correlation of Angiographic Severity of Coronary Artery Disease and LV function in Patients with NIDDM”. JAPI 41, 185. Dec 1993
6. Calton R et al. “Do diabetics have a higher incidence of Diffuse Coronary Artery Disease? A Morphometric Analysis of Coronary Artery Lesions in NIDDM.” Indian Heart Journal, 45: 5, 413, Dec 1993.
Dissertations and Thesis:
1. Dissertation submitted to Birla Institute of Technology and Science towards MPhil Hospitals and Health Systems Management(1996) entitled, ”Inventory Management of a drug store in a 30 bedded rural hospital of south Gujarat
2. Thesis submitted to Punjab University Chandigarh (1993) towards MD Gen. Medicine, “Angiographic Severity of Coronary Artery Disease in NIDDM”.
Presentations, conference and workshop activities
1. Clifton, Maurice; Calton, Rakesh; Clinical Reasoning: Making the Invisible, Measurable, (February 2018) Poster presented at IME 2018 Conference, Keck School of Medicine of USC.
2. Calton, Rakesh et. al. Value agenda for heart failure model in Ontario: Application of the Porter model; Saba University School of Medicine, Saba, Caribbean Netherlands
3. Calton, Rakesh et. al. Clinical Reasoning: Making the Invisible, Visible- Revisited; Saba University School of Medicine, Saba, Caribbean Netherlands
4. Calton R “Pareto's law: An innovative tool in the hands of Hospital Operations Manager” Oral Presentation made at 1st International Conference on “Health Services Delivery Management” 14-16 October 2009 at Phitsanulok Thailand
5. Calton R et al. “Do diabetics have a higher incidence of Diffuse Coronary Artery Disease? A Morphometric Analysis of Coronary Artery Lesions in NIDDM.” Indian Heart Journal, 45: 5, 413, Dec 1993. Poster presented at 45th Annual Conference of Cardiological Society of India (December 1993), Guwahati.
• American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)
• Canadian College of Healthcare Leaders (CCHL)
• American Society of Quality (ASQ)
• National Association of Healthcare Quality (NAHQ)
• Association of Physicians of India (API)
• Member of the Communication Committee (2015 – Current), Canadian Chapter of the American College of Healthcare Executives. As the Chair of the committee (2015 – 2016),
• Responsible for all the communication activities of the Canadian chapter.
• Managed the chapter website, chapter quarterly newsletter, the LinkedIn page, and the Twitter handle
• Ensured that the information was disseminated in a timely manner.
• Member of the Board of Directors (2015 – 2017), American College of Healthcare Executives, Canadian Chapter.
• Represented British Columbia and Western Canada.
• Chair, Audit Committee; American Society of Quality (2015 - 2016)
• Responsible for regular audit of the Vancouver cluster of the ASQ,
• Ensured that the audit was done in a timely manner.
• Vice-chair Membership and Advancement committee (2012 – 2015), American College of Healthcare Executives, Canadian Chapter.
• Responsible for membership drive and the recruitment of new members
• Mentored ACHE members to advance to the Fellow status.
• Board Member, White Rock Baptist Church, Surrey, BC (2015 – 2016)
• Chair Board of Management, Central Park Baptist Church, Brampton, ON, (2011 – 2013)
• Volunteer, Arthritis Society of Canada (2011 – 2013)