RUSM Alumni Association
The mission of the RUSM Alumni Association is to support Ross University School of Medicine in realizing its vision to be a premiere institution of academic health programs; provide advocacy and goodwill on behalf of the University within local, national and international medical communities and the public; and promote fellowship among the alumni, faculty, and students of the University.
Message FROM THE PRESIDENT
Dear Ross Family.
I hope that this message finds you and your loved ones safe and well. Our world has changed dramatically in the seven months since my last message to you. Much of this change has impacted physicians, along with all healthcare workers, in unprecedented ways.
We are entering the fifth month of a global pandemic that shows no sign of easing up.
Many of us have endured increased stress in our professional and personal lives as we attempt to keep our patients and our families safe from contagion. We may be struggling under the strain of uncertainty. Uncertainty with respect to the course of the pandemic. Uncertainty with respect to our ability to continue to perform our duties to our patients safely and effectively. Uncertainty with respect to knowing that every day as we continue to do our jobs, we are potentially putting our selves, colleagues, patients and families at risk. It can be overwhelming, and we need to look out for one another for signs of burnout, stress and overall well-being.
We must remember that it's ok to not have all the answers and that in times of crisis, doing your best IS good enough. It is critical that we practice kindness and compassion to ourselves and carve out time for self care to the best of our abilities. With the pandemic having no end in sight, acknowledging that our batteries are not limitless is not weakness, it is strength.
In addition to the pandemic, there are other pressing issues that require our attention.
The global movement against racism, oppression, multiple forms of discrimination and institutional roots of hatred have all come to the forefront, and rightfully so. We as physicians can be important catalysts for change.
We all spoke a version of an oath that has guided us, in Western Medicine, from the 5th century BC. The words ring just as true today, guiding our moral compass.
Below is the most recent version. I personally take comfort in reading it and knowing that all those that came before me and those who will come after, will strive to fulfill this oath to the best of their ability.
• I SOLEMNLY PLEDGE to dedicate my life to the service of humanity;
• THE HEALTH AND WELL-BEING OF MY PATIENT will be my first consideration;
• I WILL RESPECT the autonomy and dignity of my patient;
• I WILL MAINTAIN the utmost respect for human life;
• I WILL NOT PERMIT considerations of age, disease or disability, creed, ethnic origin, gender, nationality, political affiliation, race, sexual orientation, social standing or any other factor to intervene between my duty and my patient;
• I WILL RESPECT the secrets that are confided in me, even after the patient has died;
• I WILL PRACTICE my profession with conscience and dignity and in accordance with good medical practice;
• I WILL FOSTER the honor and noble traditions of the medical profession;
• I WILL GIVE to my teachers, colleagues, and students the respect and gratitude that is their due;
• I WILL SHARE my medical knowledge for the benefit of the patient and the advancement of healthcare;
• I WILL ATTEND TO my own health, well-being, and abilities in order to provide care of the highest standard;
• I WILL NOT USE my medical knowledge to violate human rights and civil liberties, even under threat;
• I MAKE THESE PROMISES solemnly, freely and upon my honor.
I wish you all continued strength and resilience during this time. May you all continue to provide care to those in need and advocate for change that is long overdue.
Panagiotis “Taki” Galanopoulos MD MSc FAAFP CCFP (RUSM Class of 2007)
RUSM ALUMNI ASSOCIATION BENEFITS
Ross University School of Medicine has recently partnered with 4Med+ to provide accredited online training to alumni on topics relating to compliance, government incentives, health IT, health and safety, best communication, and business practices. This training is designed to assist graduates and working practitioners to meet growing regulatory and compliance demands. All proceeds will be earmarked to benefit the notable Ross student scholarship program and Ross Alumni receive a 25% discount with the code ROSS25.